E-HIKE (the Innovative and Sustainable Electric and Hybrid Vehicle Technology Development and Clustering Center) and E-HIKE Link (the Innovative Intelligent and Connected Vehicles Technology Development and Clustering Centre) were established in 2014 with the support of the Istanbul Development Agency (İSTKA) and the partnership of Turkish Electronics Manufacturers Association (TESID), Software Industrialists Association (YASAD) and the Automotive Suppliers Association of Turkey (TAYSAD).
Semi-annual workshops organized by these clusters have established the foundation of productive technological and academic collaboration in numerous national and international projects. OPINA, itself, is a product of these clusters. The combination of the two clusters under OPINA is expected to raise the level of activity and effectiveness of their participants and lead to more international collaboration.
The E-HIKE electric vehicle research areas are as follows:
- Innovative design
- Lightweight and safe low-cost body
- Energy management systems
- Battery management systems
- Innovative battery and cell
- Innovative electrical machinery and power electronic systems
The goal of E-HIKE and E-HIKE LINK are to create technology clusters with stakeholder companies, so that autonomous vehicle technology could be readily accessed and spread throughout Turkey’s domestic automotive industry.
The objectives are:
- Developing globally competitive products and services
- Taking part in the electric and hybrid vehicle market with innovative products
- Conducting research on a sustainable electric vehicle ecosystem and technologies
- Developing innovative technologies
- Increasing high technology sales and exports
- Increasing sustainability and environmental awareness